Friday, June 29, 2012

Reconfiguring...

I was all excited at how much progress I've made on my Bottled Rainbows quilt, especially since it has to be done by August for my quilting guild's little wrap up for it. So far I have totally finished 14 blocks, and 3 have scraps to be sewn on (they are glued down so I used them in the picture below). Yes, I know how to count. I know that's 17, not 16. When I first got the fabrics, I had one called blue jay in the mix which was not exactly my favorite color. It was not a blue I use much and I was afraid I wouldn't have enough to make a block, so I pulled together some leftover jade from my Riley Blake Christmas quilt and made another block. Now it looks like I will have enough to do the blue jay one too. My first instinct was to make a second extra and turn them into pillow shams. But today I placed them all on my queen sized bed to insure they would fit and, low and behold, I need another row deep to make it fit.

I was planning on a border just to make sure the drop was enough to cover the sides (I have a sleigh bed and the mattresses show), so I measured to see if the border would be enough. I need approximately 8 inches more to get the drop I want on both sides, and 8 inches is not enough to complete the top to bottom. In fact, with 8 inches added to the top and bottom, it would not quite touch the headboard or footboard. If I decided to cover the pillows with the quilt instead of having the pillows on top of the quilt, I would definitely need another row. So, in my infinite insanity, I have chosen to create 3 more blocks. So now instead of being within 3 of being done, I am within 6. Just when you think you're closing in on a finish line. But I really do think it will be worth it. It will be plenty big and the border will give it a bit more that can either be tucked in at top and bottom or used to cover and tuck pillows. Plus, if it shrinks any in the wash, it will be worth it to have it bigger.

I am also hard at work being a pattern tester. I finished the book side of the "READ" bag and started the letters too. So far the pattern is very well written. Hopefully I will finish soon and can review it all together, but until then here's a sneak peak...


Yeah, I don't know if it's because I've been working on the BR quilt but my 'neutral' ended up being a bit more colorful than originally planned. But I think I'm going to like it more colorful anyway. Hope your weekend is looking promising. We finally do our first read thru for Seussical tomorrow morning so I'm excited!

1 comment:

Al said...

Oh that's looking lovely!! What colors are you thinking of adding?