Sunday, June 30, 2013

Getting Ready for July 4th...

I was planning on making a wreath to decorate my front door for July 4th. Then I saw the Missouri Star Quilt Co. tutorial for a tumbler flag quilt. Too cute! So I shifted gears since I knew I had some red, white and blue fabrics I'd put aside for some projects I never actually made.
I haven't actually added the border yet but it's very cute so far! Jenny at MSQ used a navy blue so I'm still debating the blue I have. I just have it pinned to the blue in the picture to test it out. I think it will be fine (it will also mean I don't have to buy more!). I'm trying to decide whether to add a tiny white border before the blue just to help it pop. Hmmm....

Since I made this for my front door, I needed it to be a bit smaller than what they made it. The tutorial calls for a tumbler to be used on charm squares (5" at the widest) but I didn't have one so I used this to make one.
I picked it up for $1.49 at Tuesday Morning a while back. You do have to be careful because you can accidentally cut through it with a rotary cutter, but I didn't have any trouble with mine. I originally cut a 5" block. Then I marked 1" in from each side at the top, drew a line from the mark down to the edge of each side, and trimmed. Voila, a tumbler!
So after cutting out my blues and trying them out, I figured out something. A 5" tumbler was going to make it too big for my door. So I did some configuring and decided to use a 3.5" tumbler instead. Back to the drawing board and ....... here ya go!
I made it 3.5 across the bottom and came in .75 of an inch on either side at the top. One inch was too much so I dropped back a bit. I think it turned out perfect!

What I ended up up with so far is 24" wide and 17" tall. I will be adding the border, then quilting it up and hanging it on my door! More pictures when I'm done!

3 comments:

Cassie said...

I saw this pattern in Quilting Quickly's summer edition! There are so many fun 4th of July ideas out there. But I know I wouldn't be motivated to work on one until right before the fourth and then afterward what's the point in completing it? I should start Xmas projects now...
Michael has three days off this week. And it is supposed to be even hotter than Atlanta here! Crazy! Happy Holiday week. =)

Cassie

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute. I like the blue you have there.

Michele said...

Looks great. Wonderful idea.