Monday, November 19, 2012

Modern Mini Mystery Round Robin Reveal!!!

Wow, that's a mouthful and almost a tongue twister! I'm so excited you're here and that I get to show you my Mystery Round Robin! I love how it turned out. This event started back in March and went til November. My piece did some traveling; of the participants in my group, one was from France, one from Australia, and the rest from the good ole' U.S. The fellow bloggers who participated in my group were Jane from Jane's Fabrics, Deonn from Quiltscapes, Wendy from Why-Knot-Quilt, Pippa from Pippa's Patch, Kylie from My Addiction to Quilting, Bea from Beaquilter, and the Mystery creator herself, Michele from Quilts From My Crayon Box.

Need a reminder of my original 6" block? Here is what it looked like to start with.

I'm not sure which way I would have gone with it if I had done it all myself, but I had no idea it would look like this with a little help from my friends!

I love it! I didn't have any of these colors so I'm not sure I would have come up with this combination, but that's funny because the combination is pulled right out of my original block! I messed around and took pictures late so the lighting could be better but I really love it. I've already started quilting it so there are a few pins in it as well.
From my list, it appears that the first border (the tape measures) were done by Jane, the brown with polka dots by Wendy, and the red/yellow blocks with the four patch corners was Bea.
The aqua with the red spool corners was done by Deonn, the mixed row by Michele, the orange by Kylie, and Pippa finished it off with the bird houses!

If you come by here very often you might remember my visit to one of our LQS's where they had encouraged their employees to clean out their own stashes and had a sidewalk sale with the results. I picked up this orange and red floral fabric without any real use for it, but when I saw my block I knew ex-ACTLy what I wanted to back it in. Having never done this type of thing, I also didn't realize that it would make sense to create a signature block for everyone to sign, so I decided to add them after the fact as applique. I just did basic rectangles this time.
I'm just doing basic straight line stitching that echos some of the rectangles and outlines some of the borders. I did add some FMQ to the original block so it looked like the sewing machine had a needle and thread on it. If I'd thought of it, I would have stitched the word 'Singer' across it but I may still be able to handstitch that later.I know the yellow is a little hard to see.

Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out and mine will definitely be a wall hanging.
Make sure you go check out everyone else on the list to see how their blocks turned out!


Melinda - Tilda's Twisted Life (that's me so you're one down!)
Deonn - Quiltscapes
Wendy - Why-Not-Kwilt
Bea - Beaquilter
Pippa - Pippa's Patch
Madame Samm - Sew We Quilt (hasn't received her quilt back home yet, so stay tuned)
Annie - Annie's Musings
Kathy - New2Quilting
Celine - Espritpatch
Leslie - Les Quilts
Margaret - (also hasn't received her block back yet, will be posted on QuiltsfromMyCrayonBox)
Tiffany - Pink Sweet Treats

Tomorrow is the last day to enter my Traveling Stash giveaway so make sure to get your name in the hat!

9 comments:

Pippa Parsons said...

so love this one, yummy :)

beaquilter said...

how fun to see the end result on this one :-)

Vicki said...

Great combination of colors and border style enjoy

Unknown said...

Lovely!

Janet said...

It is lovely! So cute with the spools in the corners and the colours definitely match your block.

Michele said...

Hey this one really turned out great abd that backing fabric is perfect. I had a bit of a pickle with this when my turn came, deciding on which fabrics to use, but in the end I think what I added worked well with the rest of it.

Thanks for playing.

Karen said...

What an interesting block. I love what everyone add.

Samantha said...

I love how your MMMRR turned out! :D

Deonn said...

Melinda, this is one of my favorites, I just love how each border was just the perfect thing! Love it!