Monday, May 7, 2012

A Little Bag for a Friend

I posted Saturday that I was going to try to make a little toiletry bag for a friend who has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. I decided to use Sew4Home's tutorial with a few twists of my own. I finally cut into some more of my Heirloom by Joel Dewberry and I really love how it came together. This particular bag used laminate (the original tutorial only used laminate on the inside of the bag). Since I didn't have any I decided to use some of my Heat n Bond Iron on Vinyl instead. It turned the fabric from what you see on the left to the shiny version on the right.
I didn't have the right length of zipper so I ended up making a Hobby Lobby run this morning before putting this together. I got the whole thing together and accidentally snipped the wrong side of the zipper. I pulled the zipper closed and the pull came off. After 10 minutes of crying and cursing the zipper pull, I finally got it back together and rigged something so the pull wouldn't come off. Then I figured out that I got the liner a tiny bit too close to the zipper in one spot so it caught a bit. Sigh.... I have really got to stop trying to make things at the last minute.
It still turned out really cute. I added a pink ribbon, of course. I figure that kind of suits the awareness of breast cancer as well.  And the laminated liner?
Worked out well. I will say that if you choose this route, keep in mind that the fabric will wrinkle a bit. If you don't have a problem with that, go for it.

I took it by to my friend before she left work today and she was very excited about it. She said her make-up would fit in it perfectly. She's a teacher's assistant and her teacher is also a friend of mine. She saw it and wants me to make a little larger version for a baby gift. I'm thinking of trying a different kind of fabric for the inside.

7 comments:

Barb said...

Your friend will love the bag!!

Pippa Parsons said...

beautiful,

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

It turned out great! I have never heard of iron on vinyl, sounds like a handy thing to have!

jillm said...

Cute bag! I'm sure your friend will love it.

Createology said...

Your bag giftie is wonderful. The first of anything is always the most troublesome. The rest will be easy peasy...well easy for me to say.

Linz said...

CUTE!!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very cute!