Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday

A friend of mine asked me to make her teenaged daughters purses for Christmas gifts. She wanted to incorporate their father's military fatigues into the purses, but all the ideas I kept finding online were more like tote bags. I figured tote bags would not be all that trendy. I finally decided, ya know what? Fabric is fabric. Just because it's fatigues does not limit what I can do with it. So I decided to use a great hipster bag tutorial I found online to create the following bag.
The change purse is from noodlehead's zippy wallet tutorial. I incorporated the fatigues into that as well. There were no other modifications except that I added the military patches to the front. I made one set with the zebra print and one with a strip that had lime green, back, hot pink, etc. My camera was broken at the time so I had to take this fabulous picture with my cell phone. Lovely, huh? I was actually able to use pants legs to cut out the material and still have a large shirt's worth of fabric to use when I make a purse for their mom. I am also trying to figure out a way to use the parts of the pant legs that have pockets already attached. Maybe some type of camping bag, or something to carry drawing supplies when out hiking?

No comments: